Record keeping: regulatory requirements and HMRC

  • Most chambers have some form of diary system which records your cases, fees, expenses and what has been paid.
  • There is a similar requirement to keep adequate records supporting fees charged or claimed (rC88).
  • It is a good idea to set up some record system yourself – for example in Excel – to keep a note of the name and date of case, what the fee was, what expenses there were and whether the fee has been paid. This will allow you to keep track of your income and of the level of debt owed by your instructing solicitors.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.